Any specific Zaydi Responses to this Sunni Hadith?

More
1 year 8 months ago #1344 by roblgillis@gmail.com
حَدَّثَنَا عُبَيْدُ اللَّهِ بْنُ سَعِيدٍ، حَدَّثَنَا يَزِيدُ بْنُ هَارُونَ، أَخْبَرَنَا إِبْرَاهِيمُ بْنُ سَعْدٍ، حَدَّثَنَا صَالِحُ بْنُ كَيْسَانَ، عَنِ الزُّهْرِيِّ، عَنْ عُرْوَةَ، عَنْ عَائِشَةَ، قَالَتْ قَالَ لِي رَسُولُ اللَّهِ صلى الله عليه وسلم فِي مَرَضِهِ ‏ "‏ ادْعِي لِي أَبَا بَكْرٍ وَأَخَاكِ حَتَّى أَكْتُبَ كِتَابًا فَإِنِّي أَخَافُ أَنْ يَتَمَنَّى مُتَمَنٍّ وَيَقُولَ قَائِلٌ أَنَا أَوْلَى ‏.‏ وَيَأْبَى اللَّهُ وَالْمُؤْمِنُونَ إِلاَّ أَبَا بَكْرٍ ‏"‏ ‏.‏

A'isha reported that Allah's Messenger (ﷺ) in his (last) illness asked me to call Abu Bakr, her father, and her brother too, so that he might write a document, for he feared that someone else might be desirous (of succeeding him) and that some claimant may say: I have better claim to it, whereas Allah and the Faithful do not substantiate the claim of anyone but that of Abu Bakr.

Sahih Muslim 2387
sunnah.com/muslim:2387

Apart from the obvious, of being superseded by more authentic Mutawatir Hadith that imply the contrary; are there any specific zaydi criticisms of this Hadith?

What disproves the Sunni argument that the intended will of the Prophet SAW was to choose Abu Bakr? What makes Shia narratives regarding this event superior to the Sunni narrative?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 7 months ago #1345 by jafarzaydishia
I am not well learned in the science of hadith.

However, I can say that most Sunnis would discredit this hadith because they believe that Allah's Messenger (peace and blessings be upon him and his family) did not know how to read or write.

This is the same argument Sunnis use to discredit the hadith that Twelvers quote about Allah's Messenger (SAW) writing a document informing them that Imam Ali (as) will be his successor. However, Umar said that Rasool Allah (SAW) was sick. And then, the Prophet (SAW) got angry and asked everyone to leave the room.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.192 seconds