Did Ali consider Abu Bakr and Umar "liars, oppressors and treacherous"?

More
3 years 8 months ago #1059 by Imam Rassi Society
Salamu alaykum,

I was just wondering if any of our Imams ever used or commented on the narration in Sahih Muslim in which Umar states that Abbas and Imam Ali considered him and Abu Bakr to be liars, oppressors, and treacherous?

The Sunni response is usually that this is the idraj of Zuhri and the wording in question is not in Bukhari’s version, or that Umar was just being rhetorical given that Abbas first says he considered Imam Ali to be a liar, oppressor, and treacherous.

sunnah.com/muslim/32/58

Thanks

wa alaykum as salaam wa rahma!

Thank you for you question! I've only read one Zaydi commentary on this report called As-Silsila adh-Dhahabiya, and the author, Sayyid Badrudeen al-Houthi, uses it as a proof of az-Zuhri's unreliability. He basically says that there are many internal contradictions and inconsistencies in the report which demonstrates that az-Zuhri completely fabricated it.

For example, he says, on one hand, the report says that Ali and Abbaas considered Abu Bakr a liar, treacherous, etc when he quoted the supposed hadith ((We Prophets do not leave inheritance...)) yet in the same report, he asked the two of them if they knew that Allah's Messenger, peace and blessings be upon him and his progeny, said that and the two of them replied: "Yes."

So which is it? This and other blatant contradictions point to it being completely false.

Plus, I don't know of any parallel reports in Zaydi sources.

And Allah knows best!

IRS

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.155 seconds