Further resources

More
2 years 10 months ago #1258 by ZaydiInquirer
السلام عليكم ورحمة الله

After reading through the answers on this forum and reading through the translations posted by the Imām Rassī Society on scribd, I've taken a greater interest in the Zaydī madhhab. However, the resources in English are very few in comparison to what exists for the Sunnīs or the Rāfiḍah.

Do you know of any other resources in English to read more about this school? Also, what are the best sites/places to find resources in ʿArabic (for those of us who are seeking to learn ʿArabic as well)?

(also, as a side question, do Zaydīs refer to themselves as Shīʿah?)

جزاكم الله خيرا

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 10 months ago #1261 by Imam Rassi Society
wa alaykum as salaam wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuhu!

Thank you for your question! As you said, there is a dearth of English resources. There are some efforts to present Zaydi material in English and other languages, but much of this effort is voluntary and not funded. You have this forum, Zaydiportal.com as well as a couple of facebook pages. Nafs az-Zakiyya has a Youtube page with translated short videos. Other than the various individual efforts, there's not much in the way of English resources.

as for the Arabic sources, there are obviously a lot more. Just anazaidi.net alone has extensive resources. You can also go to their links page and get even more resources. Kaadhim az-Zaydi regularly responds to questions on his blog . There is also an extensive Zaydi library at the athaqaleen site .

InshaAllah, this can be a great start for you!

And Allah knows best!

IRS

More
2 years 9 months ago - 2 years 9 months ago #1266 by ZaydiInquirer
Replied by ZaydiInquirer on topic Further resources
جزاكم الله خيرا

Do you think that the English resources are sufficient for a person who does not know enough Arabic yet to access the Arabic resources? While the translations by the IRS look good for the essentials, I'm concerned about situations where the answers are not covered in these texts and access to English speaking students of knowledge may be limited.

On that note, how would a person practise the madhhab of Ahl al-Bayt if they are surrounded by people who are heavily against anything non-Sunnī? For example, if praying with their hands by their side or waiting longer to break the fast is not possible due to how heavily the community is against the Shīʿah or how the family is even against them following another Sunnī madhhab. Would taqiyyah be allowed in this case, and if so, how would it be applied?
Last edit: 2 years 9 months ago by ZaydiInquirer.

More
2 years 9 months ago #1268 by Imam Rassi Society
Thank you for your questions! I think that there are sufficient resources although relatively, there are not as many as other madhaahib. As I mentioned before, we are currently in the process of producing and translating materials from Arabic to English. However, our efforts are not funded by anyone; they are strictly voluntary and therefore, very slow. Our efforts towards authoring a book on Zaydi theology , for example, has not been widely accessed although it is ten years old now. We realise the necessity of translation efforts, but we are basically playing catch-up to others who have had decades of a headstart.

We sincerely pray that our humble efforts are seminal and a starting point for others to follow and do even more, inshaAllah! But we are at where we are at right now. I would urge others who are interested to make similar efforts. Go and study the language, sit with our scholars, and share what you have learned with others. Write, edit, publish! Do what you can to forward the madhhab of Ahl al-Bayt.

We are fighting from multiple fronts: the dying off of our scholars, the limitation of resources in other languages, the political/economical/environmental situation in Yemen, the lack of interest on the part of Yemeni Zaydis to reach beyond their tribal affiliations and borders to spread Zaydism, the lack of funding, the spread of Salafism/Sunnism/12 Shiism and monetary advantage they have had for decades, etc.

Despite all of the above, Allah has seen fit that non-Yemeni, non-Arab, non-Zaydi Muslims are still attracted and drawn to it! We have only Allah and the baraka of Ahl al-Bayt to thank for that!

As for your concern about practicing Zaydism in a somewhat hostile environment, I would say that I know that it is a challenge to do so. There were times when even I didn't want to stick out form the mainstream around me. However, I would base my actions on the validity or invalidity of the obligation. By that, I mean that if I were in a predominately Sunni mosque and I was asked to call the adhaan, I would not call the Zaydi adhaan as this would be a source of possible conflict and not appreciated or even known about. The adhaan doesn't affect the validity of the obligation of the prayer. On the other hand, if it is time for iftar at a Sunni mosque, I would usually disappear to go to the bathroom until the proper time for iftar has come in. Then I would reappear and break my fast. I would not break my fast before then because this would affect the validity of the obligation of fasting and it would be an intentional act. Such is not permitted unless your life depended on it.

There are various things that you can do to alleviate these types of matters. For example, if it would cause a disruption for you to pray with your arms by the sides in the congregational prayer, you could pray your fard alone with your arms by the sides and then when you are in public, mimic the actions of the others without intending the congregational prayer. You would just stand there and do the actions without intending the prayer. This would allow you to maintain the principles of your madhhab without offending those around you. You must try to be creative.

On top of everything, make sincere dua to Allah to help you. Allah will make a way of escape for those who sincerely make dua to Him. You will be surprised with the ways that Allah will assist His slaves!

Hopefully, this answered your questions and concerns!

And Allah knows best!

IRS
The following user(s) said Thank You: ZaydiInquirer

More
2 years 1 month ago #1330 by Abdallah
Replied by Abdallah on topic Further resources
Al salamu alaikum,

I want to buy Zaydi books written in Arabic, published by Yemeni publishers. I cant find any of them in Europe.

Is there someone or a website that sells some of the unique books of Zaydi scholars of old?

Hope to hear soon,

Was salam,

Time to create page: 0.330 seconds