Reliability of the Musnad Zayd

More
4 years 11 months ago #961 by 7osam
As-Salamu Alaykum,

dear Brothers, a question regarding the reliability of the Musnad Zayd:

Please bear with me. I have read your article Abu Khalid al-Wasiti and Musnad ZaydAbu Khalid al-Wasiti and Musnad Zayd
My question is not so much concerned with the points you have adressed in the article, wich are mainly the statements of the scholars regarding Abu Khalid as a hadith transmitter vs the allegedly consensus of the Ahl al-Bayt regarding Abu Khalid being trustworthy and reliable. I'm trying to look into the topic from another angle.

I have come across the following article:

التحقيق في حال مسند الإمام زيد بن علي

Now aside from the inappropriate polemical language the author uses, he raises some interesting points with regards to the relliability of the Musnad. Summarizing the line of argument, it goes like this:

1. the book known as Musnad Zayd has been narrated by only one author, who is Abu Khalid al-Wasiti.

2. The hadith chains of the Musnad go like this: 'Zaid ibn Ali ibn al-Husayn ibn Ali ibn Abi Talib told me about his father from his grandfather about the Commander of the Faithful Ali [from the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him)]“

3. It is strange that Imam Muhammad al-Baqir, the brother of Imam Zaid ibn Ali, did not narrate any of the Ahadith narrated by Imam Zayd in the Musnad through Abu Khalid, although Imam Muhammad al-Baqir was older than Imam Zayd by twenty-four years (Imam Zayd was only 14 years old when his father died). How come Imam Baqir did not hear any of the hadiths that Imam Zayd allegedly heard and narrated?

4. There is not a single hadith of the Musnad, that was narrated by any of the other brothers of Imam Zayd an Imam al Baqir. How come none of the brothers narrated any of the hadiths that Imam Zayd allegedly heard and narrated?

5. There is not a single hadith of the Musnad, that was narrated by any of the sons of Imam Zayd, corraborating the narrations of Abu Khalid.

6. There is not a single hadith of the Musnad, that is corraborated by a hadith that was directly narrated through any other person in the hadith chain – e.g. there is no corraborating hadith to that of the Musnad in any other collection, that was reported by any person directly through Imam Ali bin al Hussein bin Ali bin Abi Talib, or through Imam al Hussein bin Ali bin Abi Talib (alayhum al-salam).

These are valid points. In order to establish the reliability of the Musnad, there must be reasonable answers to these points. How come no one narrated corraborating hadiths to the hadiths of the musnad? None of his brothers, none of his sons, none narrated something corraborating from his fathers, and no other person whatsoever narrated something corraborating from him. That just seems too much of a coincidence.

I'm pretty sure that Zaydi scholars have been faced with such questions many times. They must for sure have some reasonable answers. Can you please share with us which explanation they have?

The subsequent question of coure is, how important is the Musnad to the Zaydi madhab? How much do the Zaydi scholars rely on the Musnad? What would it do to the Zaydi madhab if the reliability of the Musnad cannot be established sufficently?

Jazakum Allahu Kher
WaSalam
7osam

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 11 months ago #963 by admin
Wa alaykum asalam wa rahmat Allah wa barakatuh,

Sorry for the late reply. I posted the answer a while ago but it disappeared for some reason.

Musnad Imam Zaid ibn Ali (peace be upon him) has been verified by the Imams of Ahlul Bayt through their sources reaching Imam Ali (peace be upon him.) either by being narrated from other sources or are similar in meaning to other hadiths. Please refer to the book الرّوض النّضير شرح مَجموع الفِقه الكَبير written by the scholar Hussain ibn Yahya Alsayaghi. It is an excellent book that studies each hadith individually.

Musnad Al Imam Zaid is a hadith book and has been collected by humans, unlike the Quran it is prone to error. There are some scholars who argue against some of the hadiths, meaning nothing will happen if reliability can't be established. Yet, the Imams and scholars have done a detailed analysis of the book. Also, these matters can not be determined by anyone, they must have studied and understood the rules of hadith.

More
2 years 4 months ago #1323 by ImamAlHadith
Musnad Imam Zayed bin Ali is more authentic than sahah Sitta.
Imam Al Hadith
Abu Hayyan Saeed Al -Zayedi Al-Hashmi

More
2 years 4 months ago #1324 by ImamAlHadith
Imam Baqar was enjoyed the Money given by Umvis.

Time to create page: 0.233 seconds