Was Abu Hurayra whipped?

More
6 years 7 months ago - 6 years 7 months ago #701 by Pro-Alid
Salamu alaykum,

I have read your article on Abu Hurayra which states that he was whipped by Umar with a cane.

However, a number of Sunni scholars claim that no such report exists which states that Abu Hurayra was whipped by Umar, but there is a report which says Umar hit Abu Hurayra with his shield. Sunnis argue that this can only be found in a Sharh of Nahj al-Balagha by the Shi’i Mu'tazilite, Ibn Abi al-Hadid, who quotes Abu Ja'far al-Iskafi. They argue that Abu Ja'far al-Iskafi was from the third century and that he was also a Shi’i Mu'tazalite. They also point out that Al-Iskafi relates this incident without a chain (sanad), and thus this is an unverified historical incident that appears centuries after the deaths of Umar and Abu Hurayrah.

Do any Zaydi sources exist which prove otherwise?
Last edit: 6 years 7 months ago by Pro-Alid.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 7 months ago - 6 years 7 months ago #704 by Imam Rassi Society
wa alaykum as salaam wa rahma!

Thank you for your question! I know of no other source in which it is mentioned that Abu Hurayra was beaten by Umar other than what is narrated in Sharh Nahj al-Balaagha. Sayyid Majideen (ra) repeated it and it was also indirectly mentioned by Imam al-Qaasim bin Muhammad (as) in his Al-I'tisaam. We have no reason to doubt those reports as Umar (as is well known) was in the habit of physically reprimanding people with his cane and punishing people for relating too many ahadith. It is also well-known and even reported in the 'Sahiih' that Abu Hurayra falsely attributed ahadith to the Prophet, peace and blessings be upon him and his progeny. It is therefore not unreasonable to assume that Umar used to threaten and/or beat Abu Hurayra for doing such.

I would disagree that Ibn Abi-Hadeed was a "Shiite Mu'tazili" because this is a contradiction in terms. One is either a Shiite or a Mu'tazilite. Our imams and scholars make a distinction between the two. The Mu'tazila school has its own distinct doctrines that set it apart from other than them. Therefore, we don't say that Ibn Abi-Hadeed was a Shiite Mu'tazili. A person might be a "Mu'tazili with Shiite leanings", but this is as inconsequential as a "Sunni with Shiite leanings."

And Allah knows best!

IRS
Last edit: 6 years 7 months ago by Imam Rassi Society.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.285 seconds