Attributes of the Prophet

More
6 years 6 months ago - 6 years 6 months ago #731 by Sabeel
Salam Aleykum
What are the attributes of Muhammad (s.a.w.s) according to Zaydis?
Last edit: 6 years 6 months ago by Sabeel.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 6 months ago #735 by Imam Rassi Society
wa alaykum as salaam wa rahmatullahi!

Thank you for your question! Regarding the physical attributes of the Prophet, peace and blessings be upon him and his progeny, there is a narration in Musnad Imam Zayd (as) in which the Commander of Believers, Ali bin Abi Taalib (as) described him. He said that Allah's Messenger, peace and blessings be upon him and his progeny, was white in colour with tinges of red. He had intensely black eyes. He had medium length hair, a prominent nose, black pupils, full and fleshy cheeks, a thin line of hair between chest and navel and a thick beard. His hair grew to his earlobes. His neck was like a silver jug when he stretched. He did not have any other hair on his chest and tummy except that which grew on his chest. He had flesh palms and soles. When he walked, it was as if he was descending downhill. When he turned around, he turned his body completely around. He was neither extremely tall or short. His sweat was like pearls, and it smelled like the best perfume.

May Allah grant us the vision of the Prophet in our dreams and awakened state!

And Allah knows best!

IRS

More
6 years 5 months ago #781 by AbuTalhah87
As-salāmu `alaykum,

Can you please tell me which bāb of Musnad Imām Zayd (`alayhi salām) this narration is in? Thanks!

More
6 years 5 months ago #789 by Imam Rassi Society
wa alaykum as salaam wa rahma!

Yes. It appears in the last bab called Bab al-Ikhlaas.It is near the end of the book.

And Allah knows best!

IRS

More
6 years 5 months ago #798 by Sabeel
Replied by Sabeel on topic Attributes of the Prophet
Salam Aleykum.
Does Zaydis have a list of weapons the Prophet (s.a.w.s) used, their description and characteristics ?

More
6 years 5 months ago - 6 years 5 months ago #799 by AbuTalhah87
A while back, when I first started becoming an `Alawi Sunni (and because I'm a sword nerd), I made this post on my Google+ page... I'd like to know what everyone (IRS included!) thinks in shā' Allāh...

Dhu-l Faqaar reproduction via historical ijtihad journal:

1. Arab swords of the early Islamic era were similar in almost every way to either the Roman spatha or the Sassanid longsword, i.e. they were straight and double-edged. The highest quality were made in Yemen from imported wootz ingots. They were uniformly worn hung from a baldric; wearing a sword on one's hip on a belt was not customary (in fact it seems to have been looked down upon) for the Arabs, whereas it was for the Persians.

2. I have effectively ruled out its name referring to a bifurcation of the tip or serration of the edges (as we see on Shi`i pendants and Indo-Pakistani interpretations). Bifurcation of the tip would make a sword structurally unsound, and such a measure would be ludicrous to as ferocious a warrior as `Ali (`alayhi salam); it would not have been the sword famously used by him. Serration of the edge, while effectively improving the performance of a cut-centric sword (as spathae were), was not innovated until much later in history. Thus I have determined that the name either has to do with cleaving/separating (the vertebrae, specifically), or referring to a particularly intricate fuller design it may have incorporated. As it was quite ordinary for spathae to have multiple (quite attractive) fullers, I'm leaning more toward translating its name as "Lord of Cleaving."

3. By investigating Ibn al-Qayyim's "Zad ul-Ma`ad" and Imam Tirmidhi's "Shama'il," I (with the help of my friends) have determined the parts of dhu-l faqaar's furniture which were made of silver, and they are as follows:

-Bikraah: these are the part of the scabbard which attach to the rings through which the baldric straps are fed.

-Dhu'aabah: this would usually refer to the lanyard hung from the pommel (used for weapon retention and decoration), but since this is mentioned along with those features made of silver, I have to assume this refers to a ring through which the lanyard was strung.

-Na`l: this is the decorative (and protective) endcap at the base of the scabbard, also called chape. Not to be confused with chappe.

-Halqah: throat (chappe). As spathae featured both a chappe on the scabbard and the hilt, I shall thus apply it to both. Note that the chappe of a spatha's hilt tended to be incorporated into the larger (usually) shoulder-style rounded handguard.

-Qabee`ah: pommel cap and handle accents.

4. The blade will resemble, in length, width, and taper, that of a typical 7th century Roman spatha. It should have a roughly spatulate tip. I have decided on a U-shaped fuller; this would be a double-fuller which is joined at the tip.

5. As I mentioned, the best quality swords made by the Arabs were made in Yemen, which had considerable Persian influence at the time. So why isn't this sword being made in the Sassanid longsword style? I'm not assuming dhu-l faqaar was a Yemeni-made sword, because there is a hadeeth which mentions that one of the swords (not named, unfortunately) belonging to RasulAllah sallAllahu `alayhi wa alihi wasallam (as dhu-l faqaar originally did) was made in the style of the Bani Haneefah. This tribe inhabited the Yamamah region, which is part of modern-day Najd; far from Persian influence. Furthermore, all of the anatomical features mentioned above are indicative of Roman style. None of the Sassanid longswords I've seen has incorporated them as described, while every spatha has.

So that's where I am now. I've still got a lot of research to do for ideas on the particular style of decoration I'm going to use for the mountings. I've seen some examples from the period that experts aren't sure are Byzantine or Arab, so it's safe to assume Byzantine and Arab weaponry incorporated similar, if not identical motifs.
Last edit: 6 years 5 months ago by AbuTalhah87.

Time to create page: 0.173 seconds