Obligation To Follow Everything In Zaydi Tashayyu

More
6 years 4 months ago #827 by AlAdala
Asalamu alaykum,

Is it an obligation to follow every single ruling in order to be a Shi'ah what we know as the Zaydi branch of Tashayyu'? If one strongly feels a thing or two just don't make sense with all due respect to the Imams (as) but due to doubt upon their saying of a thing, or due to a clear disagreement with Qur'aan, can a person act upon his own judgment in those matters and still be a Shi'ah since he accepts the Wilayah of Imam Ali (as)?

jazaakum ALLAHu khayr

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 4 months ago #841 by Imam Rassi Society
wa alaykum as salaam wa rahma!

Thank you for your question! Our imams say that everything has a root and branches. For one to declare anything, one must be aware of its root. The Zaydi madhhab has an usuul that sets it apart from other madhaahib just as everything else has a root that differentiates it from other things. The Zaydi madhhab's foundations, or usuul, is Divine Oneness (Tawheed), Divine Justice (Adl), Divine Promise and Threat (al-Wa'd wa al-Wa'eed), Prophethood (an-Nabuwwa) and Guardianship/Imamate (al-Wilaaya/al-Imaama). If there are any issues of disagreement, they are typically in the branches, not the foundations.

There were many who claimed wilaya of Ali (as) but didn't adhere to the aforementioned principles. For example, there were those who worshipped him--this would entail the belief in wilaaya (although a distorted belief); however, it would be a violation of Tawheed.

So to answer your question simply--no. One who does not hold to the foundations or fundamentals of Zaydism cannot call himself/herself a Zaydi just as one who does not hold to the fundamentals of Islam call himself/herself a Muslim.

At the same time, it must be understood that calling oneself by a particular name or title is not what is important. What is most important is that one hold to those set of beliefs, practices and states that will save one from the threat of Hellfire. Titles will mean nothing on the Day of Judgement.

If there are some issues in Zaydi aqeeda that you feel contradict reason or revelation, perhaps you can share and we can discuss. Maybe the disagreements are due to confusion or lack of clarity in understanding.

And Allah knows best!

IRS

More
6 years 4 months ago - 6 years 4 months ago #845 by AlAdala
Salaam jazaak ALLAHu khayr for the answer. I have no issue with the Usoul. I agree with every one of them. I am ignorant to other things in the math'hab.

I am ignorant to the agreement of what's in the branches with the Qur'aan and need help with them as I am indeed confused. For example, I can't wrap my head around:

1) Washing the feet instead of wiping

2) Madhi being najasah while it has no mention in Qur'aan but ALLAH mentioned one must wash/purify himself when leaving the privy, when he/she is in janabah which involves semen not madhi (but I could be wrong) and when the woman completes her menses (or is in her menses? I'm not sure)

3) Also, certain sea animals being forbidden to eat while the Qur'aan did not mention them being forbidden. Can you explain why?

I've run left to right and nothing has revived my pride in being a Shi'ah like this math'hab through its moderate yet just way. Salamu LLAH on all the Imams (as) and may ALLAH be pleased with all of the Righteous Scholars dead or alive in shaa' ALLAH.

jazaak ALLAHu khayr
Last edit: 6 years 4 months ago by AlAdala.

More
6 years 4 months ago #855 by Imam Rassi Society
Salaams!

Thank you for your questions!

As for the washing vs wiping issue, you and i discussed it at length in my private email. Not sure why this is still an issue.

As for the ritual impurity of madhi (i.e. prostatic fluid), it is generally excreted at the time of urine or immediately afterwards. Since it comprises of a liquid that exits the penis, our imams use this as an analogical justification of its ritual impurity. Conversely, I know of no Quranic verse that justifies the view that it is pure.

As for the view concerning sea animals, we addressed the Quranic basis here . Please refer to it.

And Allah knows best!

IRS

More
6 years 4 months ago #857 by AlAdala
Yes we did I forgot about that please excuse me.

The second answer makes sense as does the last one.

jazaak ALLAHu khayr brother. Sorry for the headache. I'm sincerely trying to learn this. May ALLAH be pleased with you.

More
6 years 4 months ago #859 by AbuTalhah87
I have lately come to conviction on several tenets of Mu`tazilī/Zaydī creed. But something is bothering me about the manzilah bayna manzilatayn/eternal residence in Hellfire of a Muslim grave sinner. One question I have deals with the issue of a Muslim who falls into temptation and engages in illicit sexual intercourse and dies during the act (let's say of a heart attack). Allāh knows whether or not he would have repented, but he never got the opportunity; what does your (and possibly soon my) madhhab's position reckon will be his state?

Time to create page: 0.220 seconds